Dennis C. Valet Senior Counsel
Dennis C. Valet Senior Counsel
Dennis C. Valet focuses his practice on the representation of individuals and companies in complex commercial and real estate litigation matters. He has extensive trial and appellate experience involving matters of real estate brokerage compliance and litigation, breach of contract, professional liability, corporate and partnership disputes, commercial landlord-tenant leasing and evictions, and land title disputes. In addition to his work in the courtroom, Dennis has represented real estate brokers and salespersons in administrative proceedings commenced by the Department of State Division of Licensing Service for violations of the Real Estate License Law and has regularly represented realtors in NAR ethics and commission arbitrations. Dennis also is experienced representing parties in the acquisition, disposition, and financing of commercial real estate and residential multi-family real estate portfolios.
Dennis has been named a Super Lawyers Rising Star annually since 2016. He has lectured to attorneys on topics including real estate brokerage litigation and the intricacies of representing foreign buyers in real estate transactions. His writings have been featured in legal publications such as the New York Real Estate Journal and The Suffolk Lawyer. As a mock trial competition attorney advisor, Dennis coaches high school students on the intricacies of trial advocacy.
Dennis is a graduate of Boston College’s Carroll School of Management with Bachelor’s Degrees in Finance and Operations and Strategic Management. Dennis received his Juris Doctor from the Maurice A. Deane School of Law at Hofstra University where he served as a research editor on the Hofstra Labor Law Journal. He is admitted to practice law in the Courts of the State of New York and the United States District Courts for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York.
- NY Metro Super Lawyers Rising Star (since 2016)
- Juris Doctor Degree – Maurice A. Deane School of Law at Hofstra University
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Finance – Boston College
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Operations and Strategic Management – Boston College
State of New York – 2013
United States District Court for the Southern District of New York – 2013
United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York – 2013
- Landmines in Real Estate Brokerage Litigation – Revisited. The Suffolk Lawyer. September 2013.
- No Drone For You – The FAA Bans the Use of Drones in Real Estate Brokerage. The Suffolk Lawyer. September 2014.
- Supreme Court Rules to Remove Housing Discrimination: Landlords and Developers Beware. New York Real Estate Journal. August 2015.
- Reasons to Involve an Attorney in the Rental of an Accessory Apartment. The Suffolk Lawyer. December 2015.
- Court of Appeals Clarifies Trivial Defect Doctrine. The Suffolk Lawyer. February 2016.
- Caveat Emptor and Why You Shouldn’t Sue That Real Estate Broker. The Suffolk Lawyer. February 2017.
- Condo and Co-Op Boards Beware – Discrimination in Housing. The Suffolk Lawyer. April 2018.
- Federal Preemption of State Banking Laws – Are Mortgages and Foreclosures Ripe for Federal Regulation? The Suffolk Lawyer. April 2019.
- The Constitutionality of Retroactive Legislation and COVID-19 Business Interruption Insurance. The Suffolk Lawyer. May 2020.