Amy E. Bedell PARTNER
Amy E. Bedell PARTNER
Amy E. Bedell is a partner and head of the appellate practice department at Lewis Johs Avallone Aviles, LLP, where she focuses on complex civil litigation and appeals in diverse areas of the law, including medical malpractice and nursing home litigation, insurance law, commercial litigation, labor law, municipal liability, and premises liability. Amy’s appellate practice experience began early in her career when as an associate in a large, international law firm in Manhattan, she was a member of the appellate team that successfully appealed to the United States Supreme Court on behalf of a major health insurance company in a multi-district class action lawsuit.
Before joining Lewis Johs, Amy practiced for several years as a commercial litigator in a mid-sized Long Island law firm and served as a habeas law clerk to the Honorable Joanna Seybert, the Honorable Arthur D. Spatt, and the Honorable Denis R. Hurley in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York. Amy received her Juris Doctor, With Distinction, from Hofstra Law School, where she served as Managing Editor of the Hofstra Law Review. Upon graduation, the faculty awarded Amy the William Eric Goldberg Scholarship Award, in recognition of her leadership and contributions to the law school.
Amy is a member and former co-chair of the New York State Bar Association’s Committee on Courts of Appellate Jurisdiction and of the Suffolk County Bar Association’s Appellate Practice Committee. Amy’s charitable interests have included raising funds for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society’s Team in Training program, and she is active in a number of community organizations. Amy rows competitively with the Spy Coast Rowing Club.
- Juris Doctor, With Distinction, Hofstra University School of Law
- Hofstra Law Review, Managing Editor
- Bachelor of Arts – Stony Brook University
- New York State Bar Association; Member, Committee on Courts of Appellate Jurisdiction
- Suffolk County Bar Association; Co-chair (2020-2022), Appellate Practice Committee, Judicial Screening Committee
- State of New York
- United States District Courts for the Eastern, Southern and Northern Districts of New York
- United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit